Symantec Corp –the global leader in security, backup and availability solutions for businesses , whose innovative products and services protect people and information in any environment – from the smallest mobile device, to the enterprise data center, to cloud-based systems announced recently at a press briefing that its new backup appliances – NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600 – will soon be available in the Nigerian market. These backup appliances will help midsized to large enterprise organizations, remote offices and data centers modernise their backup infrastructures and accelerate new initiatives around virtualisation with greater ease and reliability.
Deployed in just minutes, Symantec appliances enables organisations to protect information, in physical or virtual environments, and to deduplicate data across the board to improve efficiency while reducing costs.
“For the first time in Nigeria, Symantec will be offering an all-in-one, scalable backup appliance for midsized to enterprise organizations,” says Gordon Love, Symantec’s regional director for Africa. “These innovative solutions include Symantec’s content-aware deduplication, which can decrease backup storage up to 50 times and bandwidth consumption up to 99 percent, eliminating backup window problems and enabling cost-effective replication of data to other sites for business continuity.”
For many customers, the challenges with protecting virtual and physical servers have been heightened by the proliferation of different backup solutions in a single environment and the integration problems between the hardware and software. Symantec’s backup appliances deliver an end-to-end integrated backup device for servers, storage, and software.
“While many solutions require the IT team to integrate multiple solutions for tape, disk, dedupe, physical, virtual snapshots and backup, Symantec appliances are typically installed in less than 30 minutes and deliver integrated hardware, software and dedupe storage, providing customers with simplicity and performance from one vendor. Appliances offer a modern approach to backup,” continued Mr. Love.
Earlier this year, Symantec announced its new approach to delivering better backup to its customers. The company introduced groundbreaking new features to replace outdated and complicated approaches. Beyond features, Symantec is changing the market with technologies like this purpose-built appliance that unites physical and virtual backup, tackles data growth and eliminates complexity. Naturally the marriage of the purpose-built device and Symantec’s leading NetBackup and Backup Exec software leads to simplicity and standards, supported by a single vendor and Symantec’s strong partner community.
Symantec’s NetBackup 5220 appliance recently won the Backup and Recovery category in the Best of TechEd 2012 awards program. “The Best of TechEd 2012 awards recognise companies who offer innovative products for the industry. The judges reviewed 297 products and services, of which our NetBackup 5220 secured the top honours,” concluded Love.
NETBACKUP 5220 KEY FEATURES:
- NetBackup Accelerator:
Helps shrink big backups into smaller backup windows by delivering full backups at the speed of incremental backups for up to 100 times faster backup.
- Replication Director:
Brings the speed of snapshots and the recoverability of backup together to protect large volumes of data and virtual machines.
- Symantec V-Ray Technology:
Protects up to 3,000 VMware virtual machines with a single appliance while enabling fast file or image recovery with less hardware (e.g., direct VMware vSphere backups without proxy servers).
- Auto Image Replication:
Enables disaster recovery over the network by combining deduplication with replication so you can stop putting tapes on trucks or helicopters.
- Symantec Critical System Protection:
Combines security and storage to protect appliances and backup data against zero day attacks and malicious insider threats.
- WAN Optimisation:
Provides reliable backups even in high latency environments.
Backup Exec 3600 Key Features:
- Next Gen Backup User Experience: Changes the way backups are managed by organizing them around systems and information. Optimized and priced for SMB customers, the Backup Exec 3600 appliance’s policies and settings are designed so organizations can implement expert backup policies without being experts in backup.
- Symantec V-Ray: Unites virtual and physical backups to deliver single-pass backups of VMware, Hyper-V and the physical hosts they run on so users can recover virtual machines, applications, databases, files, folders and even granular objects in seconds.
- Free Disaster Recovery Built-In: Integrated bare metal recovery includes Backup-to-Virtual (B2V) and Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) conversion technologies to allow users to recover a failed system to a VMware or Hyper-V guest. All Backup Exec customers who upgrade to BE 2012 have access to this at no cost, enabling businesses that thought disaster recovery was out of reach to implement a plan.
- Tape-Out Support: Backup Exec 3600 appliance has added tape support for additional longer-term or offsite data protection.
- Cloud Recovery as a Service: With the Cloud disaster recovery option, customers can leverage cloud recovery as a service for planned and unplanned system recovery of VMware environments.
- Data Deduplication: Users can protect more data while reducing storage by up to 90 percent and improve backup performance through integrated deduplication and archiving technology.